A few interesting events of late...
- I survived my first teachers quorum camp out a couple of weeks ago. We went to Sand Creek Wildlife Management Area, about 15 miles north of St. Anthony. It was a very cold night on the ground, but overall it was enjoyable. Good young men, good food, and Saturday dawned bright and almost warm. My real desire for these boys is to help build them spiritually. I still remember very vividly what my life was like at that age. It's a tumultuous time of life. There are two or three boys (out of 11) that are of particular concern. Almost all come from strong families - and you can tell which are the stronger.
- Travel - I was home this week after a week of travel to San Jose, Chicago, and Indianapolis. On Wednesday I will travel to Puebla, Mexico to visit one of BYU-Idaho's two international Pathway sites. Many lives will be blessed as the BYU-Idaho experience is taken to people who will never have the opportunity to attend school in Rexburg. The visit to Indianapolis was for meetings with Pearson and McGraw-Hill to discuss competency-based courses (CBC). We believe we have an opportunity to create ways for students to "test out" of some courses, but there really isn't a good model in existence to do so. Last Friday I put some thoughts together that may help guide our efforts.
- Elder Paul V. Johnson, Commissioner of Church Education, was here to review our plans for where we think we might be as an institution in 10 years. Elder Johnson apparently made the comment that BYU-Idaho has the opportunity to create the best undergraduate educational experience in the country - if not the world. While some may see that as a bold statement, I believe it is true for two reasons: 1) because two prophets (President Gordon B. Hinckley in October 2002, and Elder Henry B. Eyring in September 2001) have said essentially the same thing, and 2) because BYU-Idaho is the Lord's university and he would inspire us to do something mediocre. I found this comment by Elder Johnson interesting because earlier in the day on Friday I had said almost the same thing in a meeting I was conducting. It is humbling and very exciting to be part of such a great work. I am grateful every day for the blessing of working at BYU-Idaho. It is really interesting to note that two former presidents and the current BYU-Idaho president spoke of our Pathway program in their inaugural responses. Henry B. Eyring in 1971 indicated that Ricks College must find a way to take the school to the world, as did David A. Bednar in 1998, and Kim B. Clark in 2005. Coincidence? I don't think so. Prophetic? Absolutely.
- What has most been on our minds and in our hearts this week is the condition of little Ellis Cicero Hale. He has been one sick little man, but Alynda and I had a Skype call with him, Jen, Tami, and Carter this afternoon and we were thrilled to see how well he is doing. He got progressively ill last week, which required him to be life-flighted to PCMC on Monday afternoon. Jared Nygren and I gave him (and Jen) a blessing before leaving for Salt Lake. We are grateful for good doctors and tender nurses who have cared for him. So, Ellis has his colostomy again and will for the next several months. On June 29 Carter gets his back and these two cousins will be "stoma twins" for a while. Jen told us this afternoon that Ellis is doing so well he might be able to come home later this week. We hope so.
- Alynda and I took a ride to Mesa Falls yesterday afternoon. I never get tired to visiting there, seeing the falls, and hearing the noise of rushing water. It was kind of a dreary day (seems like that's all we have here anymore) but it was nice to see the beauty that is so close to us.
- Alynda's Sunday School lesson today focused on the sacrament and the various scriptural accounts of the Savior's introduction of this sacred and importance ordinance to his ancient and modern disciples. There is much to think about - partaking of the sacrament each week should be the highlight of our worship. It is a set aside opportunity to renew, remember, repent, and recommit. Alynda was well-prepared and taught with the Spirit. Thank you, master teacher.

1 comment:
Cannot believe you were in San Jose and didn't call. What a shame. :)
Keep up the good work at BYU-I!
Post a Comment